Become a Volunteer
Our volunteers are individuals interested in supporting and empowering others to better manage their chronic conditions and to live a healthy life. As a volunteer, you will have the satisfying task of integrating the contents of the program and learning group facilitation skills that can be transferred to other areas of your life. Most importantly, you will help people affected by chronic conditions successfully manage their health by using the skills and tools that you have shared with them. Volunteer opportunities are available for persons affected by chronic conditions including patients, family members, and caregivers.
Characteristics of a Leader
- Able to deliver a scripted program
- Able to facilitate a group discussion
- Committed to the philosophy and fidelity of the program objectives and goals
- Responsible, respected and trustworthy
- Understands the challenges of having a chronic health condition
- Able to communicate on sensitive issues
- Able to keep confidentiality
- Committed towards helping others
- Enjoys meeting new people
- Willing to listen, learn new skills, and become a healthy role model
Must submit a volunteer application form and agree to participate in an interview in person or by phone at the discretion of the Coordinator.
- Must be able to demonstrate the characteristics of a Leader (as listed above)
- Commit to attend 2-4 day in-class training program
- Must sign all applicable forms (e.g. Volunteer Agreement Form)
- Have the ability to arrange own transportation to and from future workshops you facilitate
- Must undertake and submit evidence of a valid Police Vulnerable Sector Screening upon request
The training and materials are provided free of cost
- Commit to complete all required Leader training
- Co-facilitate a minimum of one workshop series per year
- Must complete all program related forms, policies and training
If you’re interested in getting involved as a volunteer in any of the workshops we offer, please complete the Online Volunteer Application Form. If you would like to learn more about the volunteer opportunities at the Central East LHIN Self-Management Program or have any questions please email us at or call 1-866-971-5545.